Thursday, October 20, 2011

She's Growing Up Too Fast!

My oldest daughter turned 8 on October 1 and all I think about when I think of her age is how fast it's gone by.  Seriously, too fast. 

We took the family out for a birthday celebration and let her choose the restaurant.  If you know my daughter, you would understand how WONDERFUL it was that she wanted to get so dressed up, from the headband to the fancy shoes.  Then, she was willing to pose for these photos...AMAZING, trust me!

Supplies from Scrapbook Circle Fresh Picked October 2011 kit: Pebbles Fresh Goods Windows Display paper, Pebbles Fresh Goods Embossed Masking Tape Stickers, Crate Paper Textile 12X12 Random Collection Paper, Fancy Pants School Days No.2 Pencils paper, Studio Calico Scrap Pad, Pink Paislee Sawdust Wood Alphabet, Girls' Paperie Tiny Alphas Tinsel, .05 black pen, Glue Arts Glue Glider Pro, Close to My Heart Red Ink



I created this layout with the Scrapbook Circle Fresh Picked October 2011 kit and this week's Sketchy Thursdays sketch.  This layout was a total breeze to pull together. I mean, I had to put some thought into the photos and sizes and do some fussy cutting and place everything "just so" so it still took me a while but not as long as usual.

The alphas are actually wooden alphas that I inked red and then stamped over in blue, using different stamp designs.  I love how they turned out.

What I don't love is how messy they made my layout, AFTER I ADHERED EVERYTHING TO THE PAGE! You see, after I glued everything down I wrote all my journaling.  When I was done, I looked at my layout and this is what I saw:
[insert GASP! here]  I looked around my page and as suspected, there were red and blue random smudges here and there.  I looked at my arm and yep, my palm and arm were covered in ink. I washed it off again and again and again. 

I debated on adding "artistic" smudges to the rest of the layout but it wasn't going to work and wasn't the look I wanted so I resigned myself to start over. FUN...NOT! Most of it came off the page easily, except the border at the top that ripped and the alphas and hearts that I glued with super ultra bond glue.  Can you hear my sarcasm as you read this?


Yay for me (again, sarcasm)! This is what I get for scrapping under the influence (of seasonal allergies) and being impatient waiting for the ink to dry. Luckily, I was able to salvage it but like I said, I did have to re-work the whole thing. Oh and I looked at my arm again 4 hours later, and I found a distinct backwards "ro" that I missed in my initial scrub-down. And there's still traces of ink on my hand and fingertips too.  [ sigh ]
Thanks for looking today. Tell me I'm not the only one who has had to re-make a layout for one reason or another.

Now head over to Sketch Thursdays and play along with us! You could something great from Let's Capture Our Memories

6 comments:

Diana Waite said...

CUTE page but UGH that there was an inky mess--I've done that too! Good thing you could save it!

Doreen Vasquez said...

OMG I had the same problem, but not nearly as bad as yours, when I colored my alphas! I got the black ink on my hand but luckily my layout wasn't affected. Sorry to hear that it ruined your layout but you recovered it fabulously! Love the final look!

Diana Fisher said...

I've done that, too! A lot. Especially with cards.

Love the final result, great page!!

Rebecca Keppel said...

Oh WOW! I love what you did with the alphas! All the mess was totally worth it!

Unknown said...

The alphas really do look great. What a pain about the smudging!

StaZ said...

I have totally done this with perfect pearls and there is no recovery from those smudges either....it's usually an excuse for a new embelishment!!