Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Mother's Day Gift Ideas

Little Yellow Bicycle and Petaloo are teaming up this week and today I'm going to show you an idea for Mother's Day. Actually you could use these for teacher gifts, birthday gifts, father's day (with a more manly look of course), etc. 


I also got to play with Petaloo, thanks to a Little Yellow Bicycle Hello Spring swap. I'll be honest and tell you that I'm not much of a flower person unless they are handmade but I really enjoyed working with the Petaloo products.  They sent me a gazillion flowers of different types as well as some velvet-like butterflies. I now have a change of heart about flowers after creating these little gift boxes for Mother's Day.




I know some people prefer to buy gifts instead of gift cards but in my family, anything goes. I don’t mind giving receiving gift cards and I usually invite the person who gave it to me to join me when I go shopping so we can spend the time together. The actual gift cards these days are usually decorated with a great themed design but the card sleeves they come with are often too generic for my liking.  These are super easy to make and I think they add the perfect extra touch.

I created these small boxes by cutting them out the old fashion way. No cartridge, just a TEMPLATE (designed by Nina Yang), scissors and liquid glue. Note that I changed up the front flap from the template design because I wanted variety and wanted to give it a little touch of me.
After I cut them and glued them together, which took me less than 30 minutes, I embellished them with a bit of ribbon and Petaloo flowers & butterflies.  Can you see those butterflies??? They have a velvety finish to them and I adore them! 

Lastly, I choose coordinating papers to hold the gift cards, making sure that the back side of the papers were light colored so that I can include a personal note. I adhered the gift card to the insert with a glue dot. There's a purple gift card tucked in under those little flowers below.
Lastly, I added additional flowers to the inside cards and voila! Oh and I couldn’t stop making them.  These gift boxes don’t have to be limited to Mother’s Day. They can be for birthdays, father’s day, Christmas, anything.  Actually, I made the 3rd to give for a friend’s birthday. They also don’t have to be limited to gift cards – the possibilities are endless, so long as it can all fit in the box!


Supplies:
Little Yellow Bicycle Hello Spring HS-102 Garden Rows/Lilac Love
Little Yellow Bicycle Hello Spring HS-103 Spring Story/Poppy Linen
Little Yellow Bicycle Hello Spring HS-104 Flutterby/Sunshine Dots
Little Yellow Bicycle Hello Spring HS-109 Pretty in Plaid/Tulip Linen
Little Yellow Bicycle Hello Spring HS-279 Chipboard Shapes with Glitter Accents
Petaloo Floral Embellishments – butterflies
Petaloo Mini Tie-dyed Daisies – Yellow, Item # 1309-004
Petaloo Mini Tie-dyed Daisies- Plum, Item # 1309-021
Petaloo Mini Tie-dyed Daisies – Fuschia, Item # 1309-017
Petaloo Mini Tie-dyed Daisies – Blue, Item # 1309-005
Petaloo Tie-Dyed Jewel Gypsies – Teal/Fusch/Chart/White
Petaloo Tie-Dyed Gypsies – Raspberry Sorbet
Petaloo Mini Florettes - Lt. Blue/Dk. Blue/Green
Petaloo Mini Florettes – Hula Mnky


13 comments:

Leah's Crafty Life said...

These are fantastic, what a fun way to give a gift card!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwwwwwww! These are gorgeous Heather! I loveeeeeeeee the colors and the flowers!! Such awesome gifts!

Diana Fisher said...

Love what you made!! So pretty!

Nina Yang said...

I totally love your sweet twist to the template, Heather! The velvet butterfly is beautiful! Your boxes are so sweet and happy! Thank you for linking back to my site:) Nothing makes me happier than seeing my templates in use :) Happy crafting!

Rachel (Lines Across) said...

These are so adorable. I'm really into gift boxes etc right now. Especially when you are giving something less personal like a gift card it is so much more special to give it in a personalized little package. I would love it if you would stop by and share at Lines Across.
http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/2012/05/cure-for-common-monday-39.html
I hope to see you soon,
Rachel

Izzy Anderson said...

These turned out great, Heather!

heather said...

These are precious! Would love to have you join in on my linky party {stringtownhome.blogspot.com}!

Your newest follower,
Heather
:)

Mandy said...

Hi Heather! I love your gift card boxes that you made. I'll be featuring them at the Highlight Party on Monday evening. Thanks so much for linking them up to Project Queen's Link Party last week.

Printabelle said...

So pretty! I'd love for you to add it on my link party at: http://printabelle.com/?p=3717 Thanks!

Template Design said...

Wow awesome!You are so great to make these awesome design and share here with us.You are a great inspiration for us...

Unknown said...

The collection about mothers day gifts is really interesting. Can you suggest me some more collection for mother's day?

gift pakistan said...

I like Mother day because in this way we can give a gift to their mother,awesome and informative post.

Sandhya Blogger said...

great mothers day gift ideas