Monday, March 28, 2016

Ooh la la

Hi there.  For this month's Pattern Play over at Gossamer Blue, I chose to walk you through the creative process of how I use busy patterned papers when I scrapbook.


Supplies: March 2016 Main kit, Main Add-on #2, Bits & Pieces

How to:
I especially love the 12×12 Delighted and Fresh papers from the Maggie Holmes Bloom collection. I couldn’t decide which one to use so I decided to cut a few of my favorite chevrons and line them coming down from the top and up from the bottom so they’d meet about 3/4 of the way up.

I then layered several coordinating papers behind my photo and placed it where the chevrons met. For some, this would leave a lot of lovely white space and while I love the look when others do it, I never can seem to make it look as good. So what did I do? I pulled the other patterned paper, Fresh, back out of my stash.

It’s a busy paper with lots of journaling cards so I cut straight down each of the divided lines and literally placed each new 3×12 sheet to the right side of the paper until I found the perfect one. Realizing the page might be a little off balance, I cut a larger and smaller 12″ strip and adhered it to each side of the page. Then I adhered the entire 3×12 journal cards sheet to the page. Now this page was speaking to me AND I got to use bits from both of my favorite busy patterns.



The next step in my process was to fill in around those layers below my photo.  I tucked a large XOXO gold glitter die, a ticket stub, flowers, leaves, you name it.  I just tucked and tucked,using regular adhesive and foam adhesive for added dimension.



While the sentiments on the journaling cards would work well for the title, I really wanted the title to reflect my girl’s fashion sense, hence the “ooh la la”. Last but not least was my journaling and a few more embellishments in the top and bottom corners of the page.

My tip for working with busy patterns is to use them in moderation. I love the challenge of finding a way to use multiple patterns in an understated way. Thanks for stopping by today.  Now go on and get scrappy!

No comments: